Zach Wilson comes up limping after an awkward cut while scrambling. #Jets pic.twitter.com/YkOYZ5sL6f
— Mike Giardi (@MikeGiardi) August 13, 2022
Jets quarterback Zach Wilson suffered an injury Friday night in his team’s preseason opener against the Eagles.
On a first-down play during the Jets’ second offensive possession of the night, Wilson escaped the rush and scrambled for a medium gain, cutting back to the inside and diving for extra yardage at the end of the play. The second-year quarterback came up limping, which got progressively worse until Wilson eventually gave up and went to the ground.
Wilson departed the game for the locker room, and luckily, was walking under his own power in the process. Reserve quarterback Mike White replaced Wilson under center.
The Jets announced he had a knee injury and was questionable to return. Wilson’s status past Friday’s game has yet to be revealed, but more info should be given over the weekend or early next week. If the outcome is better than expected and Wilson will only need to miss a few practices, then that’s the best-case scenario. The worst-case scenario, obviously, would be a long-term injury that completely buries any chance of this team contending.
It wasn’t a great night for Wilson prior to the injury — he telegraphed a pass on the team’s first offensive drive and threw it right into the arms of Eagles linebacker Kyzir White. Overall, he was 3-for-5 for 24 yards.
MORE NEWS ON ESNY:
• A new clue about Craig Carton’s FS1 morning show
• ‘The Captain’ finale review: Real Derek Jeter was always here
• Let’s stop trying to make holograms of famous dead people a thing
• Giants thoughts after 1st preseason game: Daniel Jones, Kenny Golladay, more
• Isiah Kiner-Falefa is bigger Yankees problem than Joey Gallo ever was
• This tweet about Bobby Bonilla’s Mets deferment contract auction is stellar
• Andrew Benintendi’s vaccination status could still be Yankees headache
• Jets’ Sauce Gardner has upgraded his blinged-out sauce bottle
• Rob Manfred, MLB should stop letting Pete Rose slink back into proper society
• Will Yankees retire Alex Rodriguez’s number? Mike Francesa weighs in
- CAESARS SPORTSBOOK
UP TO $1,250 ON CAESARS!
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK
BET $5, WIN $150!
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK
$1,000 NO SWEAT FIRST BET!
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK
$1,000 FIRST BET OFFER!
BET $1, GET $200!