Which New York Jets free agents will the team retain? Lamar Jackson declares for the 2018 NFL Draft, but one source says don’t get your hopes up of seeing him in a Jets uniform.
Lamar Jackson declares for the NFL draft.
Spoiler: The #Jets are not drafting him with the No. 6 pick (or with any premium-round pick).
— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) January 5, 2018
While a lot of Jets fans aren’t huge Manish Mehta supporters, he does have some inside sources. If there’s any truth to this report, it is a bit disappointing,]. Lamar Jackson is a dynamic talent that invokes memories of the good ole Michael Vick days.
A mobile quarterback who is a legitimate threat to book it if no passing lane is available. While also extremely capable of delivering from the pocket. So if you believe Mehta, don’t get your hopes up.
Decisions loom on key impending free agents this March.
— New York Jets (@nyjets) January 5, 2018
We did a full breakdown of the Jets in-house free agents in our, ‘Should I Stay or Should I Go‘ segment.
But here are some highlights:
- Absolutely, the Jets need to find a way to keep Demario Davis, Morris Claiborne, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. These guys flourished in New York this season and it would only make sense to pursue them this offseason.
- Less important are Wesley Johnson, Kony Ealy, and Chandler Catanzaro (kickers are more replaceable).
NFL Draft Insider Connor Rogers says the Jets and Baker Mayfield would be an excellent fit on The Score 1260. But Rogers suggests that the Jets would be better suited winning the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes so they can have maximum flexibility in the 2018 NFL Draft to take the best player available.
Other Jets News, Stories:
- Jets could trade way into Rosen/Darnold hunt (Justin Terranova of New York Post)
- Jets surpass doomsday scenario thanks to Josh McCown (Rich Cimini of ESPN New York)
- Josh McCown’s career year cost Jets Rosen/Darnold (Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News)