Brooklyn Nets general manager Sean Marks says the team doesn’t expect Kevin Durant to return for the 2019-20 season.
After an offseason that has felt like a dream, things are finally becoming a reality for the Brooklyn Nets. Last week, Kevin Durant had his photoshoot in his new Nets threads, thus legitimizing the fact that one of the greatest basketball players on the planet is now a Brooklyn Net.
Speaking of Durant, since the moment he signed with Brooklyn, figuring out when he will make his return has been at the forefront of Nets news? There were recent reports that Durant could come back this season.
Well, general manager Sean Marks did his best to put those rumors to rest during his press conference Tuesday. Of course, it was the elephant in the room and Marks was not one to beat around the bush. When asked about Durant’s rehab Marks said it was going “very well.”
“With Kevin I think what we’re going to say is the expectations are that he will be out for the year,” Marks admitted.
“We’re not going to plan on him playing,” Marks said. “Ultimately, Kevin will have a large say in when he comes back and how he’s feeling. But the expectation is he’ll be out for the year. … It’s obvious he wants to play, but I think there’s more at stake here. This is a long-term approach.”
With all the rumors and stories flying around it was relieving to hear Marks tackle it head-on and make a definitive statement. This not only takes the pressure off of Durant but also the rest of the team. Brooklyn can go through the season and grow without the expectation of Durant coming to save them.
However, by saying “he’ll have a large say” Marks did leave the door a tiny bit cracked. The team will track Durant’s progress and rehab throughout the season. The plan for the time being, however, is that Durant will miss the entire 2019-20 season until further notice.