The Yankees Have The Best In The Game
This is an arguable statement, but Aroldis Chapman is the best closer today’s game has to offer.
Among qualified relievers since 2011, the flamethrowing lefty has:
- the most strikeouts (617)
- third most saves (182)
- second-lowest ERA (2.08)
- lowest batting average against (.153)
- lowest slugging percentage against (.227)
- most strikeouts per nine innings (15.27)
- highest average fastball velocity (99 m.p.h)
To show you an eye-opening comparison, Mariano Rivera recorded 215 saves, maintained a 2.16 ERA, struck out 427 batters while giving up 20 home runs in his first five full years.
Chapman has 182 saves, a 2.08 ERA, has struck out 617 batters and has only surrendered 19 home runs.
So, while $86 million does seem high, Cashman just signed one of the better ninth inning door-slammers in the game expected to dominate in the Bronx for five years.