The New York Jets are well represented among the nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2019. Here’s who is up for discussion.
On Thursday afternoon the potential Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2019 was revealed. This list features 102 players and coaches. The Modern-Era nominees will be reduced to 25 semifinalists in November and, from there, to 15 finalists in January, per the press release.
The New York Jets are well represented on this initial reveal:
- Alan Faneca
- Alan Faneca spent 13 years in the league, mostly with the Pittsburgh Steelers, but spent two critical years with the Jets. It was the Brett Favre year where the team started out 8-3 on the verge of a Super Bowl run before it all collapsed. While in 2009 he helped the Jets to the doorstep of the Super Bowl with a rookie quarterback at the helm in Mark Sanchez.
- Kevin Mawae
- Kevin Mawae is a returning finalist in 2019 and is the only Jets player featured that spent the majority of his career with the green and white. Mawae is one of 15 offensive linemen featured as a nominee.
- La’Roi Glover
- While La’Roi Glover never played a down for the New York Jets as a player, he is currently the teams’ assistant defensive line coach. Glover was a part of five different franchises including a stint with the Barcelona Dragons in 1997.
- Steve Atwater
- One of the best safeties to ever put on a uniform who never gets the credit he truly deserves. A two-time Super Bowl champion and eight-time Pro Bowler with the Denver Broncos, he was best known for his punishing hits. He spent his lone season with the Jets in 1999.
- Ty Law
- This is one of those players that played for both sides of the force with the New England Patriots and the New York Jets. The Jets was two separate stints (2005 and 2008). While 2005 was one of the most memorable single years in franchise history that saw Law snag 10 interceptions in that single season.
- Ed Reed
- This man needs no introduction. When people think of the greatest safeties to play the game they think of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. Rex Ryan was able to lure the future Pro Football Hall of Famer to the Jets for a seven-game stint. Good times.
Prediction: Ed Reed is a no-brainer. Kevin Mawae should be a no-brainer. Faneca will likely have to wait. I don’t see two safeties getting in the same year (so Atwater suffers). Ty Law it’s not a matter of if for Law, just when they finally let him in. Glover could be a while.