It’s too early to project exactly how the draft will shake out for the New York Knicks, but it’s not too early to start getting an idea of who will be available at their pick.
Right now, the New York Knicks are sitting in the ninth spot of the NBA lottery according to Tankathon. In their current position, they have a 6.1 percent chance at sneaking into the top three picks and a 1.7 percent chance at obtaining the first overall pick. Scott Perry and Steve Mills will need to make sure they make the right selection, regardless of where they end up in the draft.
While it’s still possible for the Knicks to drop lower in the standings, it’s likely that they will end up somewhere in the seven to nine range in terms of the lottery. Nothing is set in stone, but if you’re looking to get an idea of who the Knicks’ newest rookie will be somewhere in the range of the seventh pick to the 11th pick of the draft.
According to Jonathan Givony of ESPN, the Knicks are projected to nab Collin Sexton from Alabama. The 6-foot-3 guard is likely to leave school after his freshman year. He is currently averaging 18.1 points per game, 3.6 rebounds per game, and 3.5 assists per game.
Sexton isn’t the swingman that many Knicks fans want, but he’s a talented guard with a lot of upsides. No need to overreact to this mock draft. Things will certainly change before draft day, but it is interesting to note that Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges, and Kevin Knox all are projecting to be drafted near the Knicks projected pick. All three of these players are seen as versatile fits for the forward position at the next level.
This is how the first 20 picks went:
1. Phoenix Suns, Luka Doncic
2. Atlanta Hawks, Deandre Ayton
3. Sacramento Kings, Mohamed Bamba
4. Cleveland Cavaliers (via Nets), Jaren Jackson
5. Orlando Magic, Marvin Bagley III
6. Chicago Bulls, Michael Porter Jr.
7. Memphis Grizzlies, Trae Young
8. Dallas Mavericks, Wendell Carter Jr.
9. New York Knicks, Collin Sexton
10. Philadelphia 76ers (via Lakers), Mikal Bridges
11. Charlotte Hornets, Miles Bridges
12. LA Clippers (via Pistons), Kevin Knox
13. LA Clippers, Robert Williams
14. Chicago Bulls (via Pelicans), Lonnie Walker IV
15. Phoenix Suns (via Heat), Daniel Gafford
16. Portland Trail Blazers, Dzanan Musa
17. Indiana Pacers, Troy Brown
18. Denver Nuggets, Chandler Hutchison
19. Utah Jazz, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
20. Milwaukee Bucks, Anfernee Simons