The New York Jets had a close eye on Baker Mayfield during the Senior Bowl practices. Plus the Jets also looked real hard at the wide receiver position.
The New York Jets are keeping a close eye on Baker Mayfield. So much so that Robert Klemko of Sports Illustrated wrote about it in his latest column:
From my convo last night with Baker Mayfield:
– Mom had a heart issue, is waiting on results of an echocardiogram, hence his late arrival.
– He's met at length with Saints Bills, Jets & Dolphins.
– Two OSU linemen cornered him about the flag thing ?https://t.co/1cwZ1TgEjf
— Robert Klemko (@RobertKlemko) January 26, 2018
Four teams have reportedly honed in on Mayfield. Three of those teams reside in the AFC East. As for teams who are just interviewing him to check off a box, Mayfield has been adamant that won’t waste his time or theirs.
Here are some more great nuggets from the article:
- “Mayfield sprinting to and from every drill faster than anybody on the field was the cherry on top.”
- “Players on both the North and South teams who’d played against Mayfield gushed about his accuracy and his slippery moves in the pocket.”
Mayfield has measured better than people gave him credit for. He ended up being over six feet (barely) and measured in with 9 1/2 hands. The real grilling session is going to come at the annual NFL Scouting Combine when Mayfield has to answer for his ‘antics’ on the field and off the field.
#SeniorBowl: Just based on prospect interest, I expect the #Cowboys, #Steelers, #Jets and #Chargers to all be solid buyers in the wide receiver market either in free agency or the draft the next few months.
— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) January 25, 2018
It’s not just about QBs
But the Jets have more needs than just the quarterback position. When you really look at the wide receiver position the Jets are going to have to find upgrades, especially with Robby Anderson‘s uncertain future.
They’ve got a bunch of unproven youngsters, a guy recovering from neck surgery, and another guy who has an affinity for prison. Whoever is playing quarterback will need someone to throw to, expect the Jets to find some answers sooner rather than later.