The New York Mets finally made the Adrian Gonzalez signing official while former reliever Jenrry Mejia plans to apply for reinstatement.
The New York Mets continue to wait out the slowly developing market for a second baseman, but there is some news to report.
Adrian Gonzalez signing becomes official
The team announced on Twitter that they have officially signed Adrian Gonzalez.
— New York Mets (@Mets) January 18, 2018
Gonzalez was traded to the Atlanta Braves this offseason, who released him, meaning the Mets will only be responsible for paying him the veteran minimum, which is $507,500.
The veteran first baseman struggled last season, slashing .242/.287/.355 in only 71 games with the Dodgers. However, from 2006-2016 he was extremely durable, never playing less than 155 games in a season during that stretch.
He has played in five All-Star games, most recently in 2015. He’s won two Silver Sluggers and four Gold Gloves, his most recent of each coming in 2014.
Gonzalez led the league in walks in 2009 (119), hits in 2011 (213), and RBIs in 2014 (116). The Mets are hoping that he can get closer to his career slash line of .288/.359/488 than he did last season.
Gonzalez tweeted about being excited to join the team for the 2018 season.
I am extremely excited and ready for the 2018 season. Looking forward to a great ride with my new teammates and coaches with the @Mets
Can’t wait for #SpringTraining to start.
I am ready! Are you? pic.twitter.com/biW0hTTR1e
— Adrián González (@Adrian_ElTitan) January 18, 2018
Jenrry Mejia to apply for reinstatement
Matt Ehalt of The Record reports that suspended pitcher Jenrry Mejia is planning to apply for reinstatement. Mejia was suspended for life in 2016 after failing his third performance-enhancing drug test. However, he had been suspended for 162 games in 2015 for his second failed test, so he did not pitch at all in 2016.
The 28-year-old pitched for the Mets in parts of five seasons, collecting a 3.68 ERA and 28 saves, all of which came in 2014.
Commissioner Rob Manfred said that Mejia will get “fair consideration” despite Mejia claiming that the league conspired against him. Ehalt said on his Twitter account that scouts who watched Mejia in winter ball felt that his velocity and command were off.
Mejia pitched in winter ball. He walked 12 batters in 9 1/3 innings. Scouts said his command was off, velocity was lows 90s.
Suspension prevented Mejia from applying for one year, but the suspension can be reduced to two years.
— Matt Ehalt (@MattEhalt) January 13, 2018
Jay Bruce on High Heat
Newly re-signed Jay Bruce went on High Heat on MLB Network to discuss re-joining the Mets, as well as his expectations for the season and what he feels that the team is capable of.
— New York Mets (@Mets) January 19, 2018
Other Mets news, stories
- I break down why it makes sense for the team to use Brandon Nimmo to get Josh Harrison.
- ESNY’s Nicholas Santuccio argues that the Mets are actually showing faith in Dominic Smith.
- ESNY’s Justin Birnbaum gives fans several reasons to be optimistic for the team this season.