The New York Rangers returned to the indoor hockey rink as they prepare to take on the Chicago Blackhawks at the Garden.
- Chicago Blackhawks (18-14-6, 42 points)
- New York Rangers (21-13-5, 47 points)
- Venue: Madison Square Garden
- Television: NBC Sports Network
After a 3-2 overtime victory in the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, the New York Rangers were back to work with the Chicago Blackhawks next on the schedule.
A Small Line Tweak
Grabner – Hayes – Nash
Miller – Zibanejad- Zuccarello
Vesey – Desharnais – Buchnevich
Carey – Nieves – Fast
— Matt Calamia (@MattCalamia) January 2, 2018
In an effort to get Mika Zibanejad going, head coach, Alain Vigneault moved J.T. Miller to a line with Zibanejad and Mats Zuccarello. Miller scored the game-winning goal in the Winter Classic Monday afternoon and has been a consistent threat all season. Miller has played all throughout the lineup this season thanks to versatility.
The Rangers fourth line of Paul Carey, Boo Nieves, and Jesper Fast have been playing extremely as of late. Since December 19, that line has scored eight points with Carey the beneficiary of some brilliant setups scoring three goals, including one Monday. The line was double shifted Monday as a reward for their solid play.
Lettieri is Sticking Around…For Now
Rangers are indeed keeping Lettieri for Arizona/Vegas trip as spare F. Will decide on next step afterward
— Steve Zipay (@stevezipay) January 2, 2018
Vinni Lettieri was a healthy scratch Monday as Jesper Fast returned to the lineup unexpectedly. Lettieri was called up following the Chris Kreider injury and scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game.
The gameplan with Lettieri, for now, is to keep him as a spare forward for the Rangers upcoming road trip prior to their bye week in case of an injury. After the bye week is over the team will make a decision on where Lettieri will go.
Other Rangers News
- Relive the Rangers victory in Monday’s Winter Classic against the Buffalo Sabres.
- Are you wondering why Henrik Lundqvist went with different pads Monday than the ones he posted on Instagram? ESNY’s Frank Curto Explains why.
- Blueshirt Banter’s Mike Murphy examines the Hartford Wolf Pack with Marek Mazanec between the pipes.