“He says a lot of crazy things. He says a lot of things that just are not true,” WFAN legend Mike Francesa said on his latest BetRivers podcast while answering a listener email about Boone’s often-nonsensical press conference comments.
“He tries to put a happy face or a ribbon on all kinds of Yankee garbage. He’s tried to do this all year. It sounds ridiculous.”
Francesa’s podcast was released Monday morning before the Bombers opened a three-game series with the Rays that night. But his words were prophetic. Boone gave a nonsensical explanation for Domingo Germán being scratched from his scheduled start due to armpit discomfort, only to miraculously be available in relief a few hours later. He claimed the Rays were not pitching around Aaron Judge in the ninth inning of their 5-1 win, only declining to throw him strikes. And on and on.
Some other Boone hits this year: Josh Donaldson has a very serious calf tear … and now he’s taking batting practice. Jose Trevino is relatively healthy … until he had season-ending surgery a few days later. Anthony Rizzo is available to pinch hit … but not really. And you can intentionally walk Shohei Ohtani when you manage the team, OK?
MORE ON ESNY:
• Justin Verlander would be game-changing move that saves Yankees’ season
• Yankees are last-place team without a plan, and that’s scary
• Jets’ Aaron Rodgers crushes Broncos’ Sean Payton
• Connecticut governor says he’s lined up money to bring Hartford Whalers back
• WFAN’s Gregg Giannotti defends afternoon drive’s Shaun Morash: ‘It’s going to be fine’