New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold believes he’ll be “medically cleared” on Tuesday, he revealed on “The Michael Kay Show.”
On Monday, the USC product revealed his thoughts about the week of preparation that ultimately leads to the Dallas Cowboys in Week 6 action. He’ll undergo more tests on Tuesday to see if his spleen is ready enough for NFL action.
Darnold believes he will be medically cleared. Number 14 revealed those thoughts on ESPN Radio’s The Michael Kay Show.
“I have a feeling it’s going to be good news,” Darnold said. “I thought maybe it would come last week, but I had to wait it out again.”
Darnold, 22, hasn’t strapped on the regular-season helmet since Week 1 when he and his squad squandered a 16-point lead and eventually lost, 17-16, to the Buffalo Bills.
Mono has knocked him out of action over the last four weeks and three games, all losses. The latest defeat is fresh, a 31-6 smackdown at the hands of the Eagles in Philadelphia. Many believed Darnold had a shot to play in Philly, but it was not to be.
Even head coach Adam Gase believed it to be the case as the Jets sideline boss dished out every first-team rep to the young gunslinger while allowing the eventual starter, Luke Falk, to suffer through a tough situation.
As far as Dallas is concerned, Gase has already stated the obvious: if Darnold is cleared, he will start.
“He’s supposed to run through all the tests tomorrow morning,” Gase said. “We’ll have more information, so we’ll be able to plan out the week,” said head coach Adam Gase, who added, “If he gets cleared, he’ll start.”
Stay tuned. It’s almost Tuesday.