New York Mets second baseman Joe Panik says he’s open to returning for the 2020 season after spending the last few months in Queens.
In August, the San Francisco Giants decided to designate second baseman Joe Panik for assignment. Panik had been with the Giants since 2014 and was a part of their World Series team in his first year. He additionally made the All-Star game in 2015 and was a Gold Glove Award winner in 2016.
When Panik’s time in San Francisco came to an end, his playing days with the New York Mets thus began. New York signed him on Aug. 9. Panik, who’s subject to arbitration this winter, was recently asked about the possibility of returning to Queens. Needless to say, the veteran seemed nothing but open to the idea.
“Oh, for sure,” he said, per Justin Toscano of North Jersey. “It’s been a fun few months for me. Playing in New York; I grew up here and I love the passion here.”
After coming over to New York, Panik totaled 103 plate appearances (94 at-bats) in 39 games. He hit two home runs with 12 RBIs and a slash line of .277/.333/.404. When asked about his efforts for the team since inking the deal, Panik felt confident about what he’s been able to do.
“I felt like I’ve played well here,” Panik stated. “Things will work out one way or another…Wherever I land, whatever happens, I’m very confident in my abilities.”
Panik may not be an everyday starter for the Mets at the second base spot but could be a reliable player off the bench. His immediate future in New York is unclear, however, and his fate with the team will be decided this offseason.