Retired New York Mets third baseman David Wright, now working in their front office, gives his take on how the 2019 season has gone so far.
2019 hasn’t been a great year for the New York Mets. Currently, they’re sitting at a record of 45-54, 14.0 games out of first place in the NL East division. Things aren’t getting much better for them either, as they just lost three games to the San Francisco Giants in a four-game series this past weekend.
Retired Mets third baseman David Wright, now in an advisory role in their front office, spoke Tuesday about the team and gave his take on the season thus far.
“For me, it’s obviously been — up to this point — a disappointing season,” Wright said, per Danny Abriano of SNY. “There have certainly been some bright spots, but overall, I think when you put together a roster the way Brodie and the front office has, there’s I’m sure a lot of blame to go around. And Brodie is taking his fair share.”
Despite the Mets struggles, they do have two young players in the lineup who have great potential for the future. Right fielder Jeff McNeil leads the majors in batting average, and rookie first baseman Pete Alonso already has 33 home runs on the year. As far as those two big bats, Wright believes they could be the “cornerstones of this franchise.”
“We have a legitimate threat to win the home run crown, and a legitimate threat to win the batting title,” Wright said. “You’re talking about guys that have very little experience and are putting up those types of offensive numbers. Pretty good pieces to build around. Certainly a reason for optimism not only in the future but in the very near future.”