MSG Networks will commemorate the 1994 Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers 25th Anniversary with week-long programming.
“Oh baby!. This one will last a lifetime.”
The words were spoken by two of the premier television broadcaster in all of hockey. In June 1994, JD (John Davidson) and Sam Rosen brought New York Rangers fans to tears when the Stanley Cup returned to Broadway for the first time in 54 years.
MSG Networks will televise exclusive programming all week long leading up to the New York Rangers Stanley Cup 25th Anniversary celebration prior to their game against the Carolina Hurricanes on Feb. 8.
The week-long program schedule includes:
- A countdown of the greatest plays from Mark Messier’s career on Tuesday.
- A behind-the-scenes story on Adam Graves’ rise to becoming a fan icon and legend on Wednesday.
- On Thursday, MSG looks back on Stéphane Matteau’s memorable overtime winner that sent the Rangers to the Stanley Cup Finals.
The Rangers run to the Stanley Cup began with a four-game sweep of the New York Islanders followed by a five-game series win over the Washington Capitals.
There were some great games played in the Spring of ’94 and MSG Networks is replaying some of them leading up to Fridays Anniversary celebration.
- Mark Messier’s guarantee against the New Jersey Devils in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals where he recorded a hat trick.
- The Matateu game when the Rangers defeated the Devils in Game 7 of double-overtime to take the team to the final against the Vancouver Canaucks.
- Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, when Mike Richter stoned Pavel Bure on the “Penalty Shot.”
- Game 7, when the hex was finally broken as Brian Leetch became the first American born player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP.
On Thursday and Friday, MSG Networks will re-air Games 6 and 7 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals versus the Devils and 1994 Stanley Cup Finals Games 4 and 7 against the Canucks.
During the live pregame special and in between periods, MSG Networks will have interviews with Rangers alumni from the 1994 team.
Former Rangers analyst John Davidson will also reunite with his long-time broadcaster partner and current play-by-play announcer Sam Rosen, along with current analyst Joe Micheletti, in the booth for a few minutes during the game to talk about his experience covering the team. Those few minutes in the booth will be a great retrospective of the season that lasted a lifetime for Rangers fans.
As part of the programming, Rangers greats and champions, Brian Leetch, Adam Graves, and Mike Richter, will sit down to discuss that incredible season. The three talk about the mutual respect they have for one another, their admiration for the Rangers fans, and what it was like to break the 54-year hex and finally hoist the Stanley Cup in that great Game 7.
The Parade down the Canyon of Heroes was the final accomplishment of this great team. The thrill of seeing the Blueshirts with the Stanley Cup in hand, taking that much-awaited journey to City Hall to celebrate one last time with the fans was a memory never to be forgotten.
This Friday will be a special time to look back on one of the greatest New York Rangers teams assembled.
The pre-game ceremony will be televised on MSG Network along with the MSG Go app. There will be live interviews with many of the players from that Championship team throughout the telecast and in between periods.
This has been 25 years in the making and MSG Networks will help bring fans back to once again witness an incredible playoff run and celebration in Rangers history.