Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has decided to serve his full six-game suspension after withdrawing his appeal.
The Ezekiel Elliott saga is finally over. The Dallas Cowboys running back has withdrawn the appeal of his suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.
Last week the second U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals removed a temporary administrative stay that allowed Elliot to play on Nov. 5 against the Kansas City Chiefs. A hearing had been scheduled for Dec. 1, where Elliot was looking to get a preliminary injunction to delay the six-game suspension.
“In consultation with the NFLPA and his lawyers, and after careful deliberation and review of the recent Second Circuit decisions, Mr. Elliott has decided to forgo any further appeals and will serve the remaining suspension,” the running backs agents Rocky Arceneaux and Frank Salzano said in a statement. “This decision arises from a practical assessment of the current legal landscape. Mr. Elliott’s desire for closure in this matter is in his best interests, as well as the best interests of his teammates, family and friends.”
Statement on Zeke's decision from agents Frank Salzano & Rocky Arceneaux pic.twitter.com/GTCO7dhmbk
— Kate Hairopoulos (@khairopoulos) November 15, 2017
The statement also said that this decision wasn’t an admission of any wrongdoing by Elliott. The running back has already served one game of his suspension, as he didn’t play last Sunday. He will be eligible to play again on Dec. 24 when the Cowboys play the Seattle Seahawks.
Even though Elliott has withdrawn his appeal, the NFLPA can still pursue its lawsuit against the NFL on Elliott’s behalf, according to Austin Knoblauch of NFL.com. The Cowboys running back had 783 yards on 191 carries and seven rushing touchdowns in the eight games he has played this season.
The Cowboys are 5-4 and in second place in the NFC East. They will have Alfred Morris, Rod Smith, and Darren McFadden as their running backs while Elliot serves the rest of his suspension.