13. Phoenix Suns
- Original Pick: Devin Booker (Kentucky)
- Redraft Pick: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (Arizona)
The Suns haven’t had a top-10 defense since 2000-01 when Scott Skiles was the head coach. They’ve been all about offense and an up-tempo style ever since Mike D’Antoni became the full-time head coach in 2004-05 and remained that way after his departure. Maybe it’s time to bring in a defensive stopper. A young one at that. Hollis-Jefferson is that guy.
14. Oklahoma City Thunder
- Original Pick: Cameron Payne (Murray State)
- Redraft Pick: Cameron Payne (Murray State)
The lottery rounds out with Cameron Payne sticking in Oklahoma City. The Thunder needed a backup for Westbrook (he’s going to help even more when he comes back this season) and they chose the best available. No need for a shift on this pick.
15. Atlanta Hawks
- Original Pick: Kelly Oubre Jr. (Kansas) traded to Washington Wizards
- Redraft Pick: Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin)
This pick may seem outrageous. After all the Hawks did have Al Horford at the time of this draft. My answer to that would be playing Kaminsky, Horford, and Paul Millsap at the same time. The expert veterans would be able to cover up for Kaminsky’s defensive issues, and Kaminsky wouldn’t get in the way of Horford’s work in the post.